Ocean Lifeguard Employment
Seal Beach holds it tryouts for Ocean Lifeguard in April every year. This is a highly competitive testing process requiring exceptional open water swimming skills and a high level of fitness. Applicants selected from the testing process will be admitted to the Seal Beach Marine Safety Training Academy and will be trained in First Aid, CPR, and ocean lifeguarding skills. The Academy is a three weekend course, and 100% attendance is mandatory. Upon completion of the academy, candidates will be tested on the material covered and eligible candidates can be hired to work for the department as needed.
Minimum requirements for the position of Ocean Lifeguard are:
- 18 years of age or a graduating senior from High School (under 18 requires a parent signature).
- Valid California Drivers License.
- 20/40 vision, uncorrected.
- Valid Social Security card.
- All candidates who are hired must be available for full-time employment (40 hours/week) for the entire summer.
Seasonal Ocean Lifeguard
Check back regularly for updated information and test dates for the upcoming Summer.
For further information, please call (562) 430-2613.